Bhagavad Gītā is the seminal South Asian pre-modern yogic text that has captured the imagination of both popular and scholastic audiences in India and around the world for centuries. Its practicality helps explain its enormous popularity, as does its diversity of yogic options. While affirming the transcendental path of meditation (dhyāna) as seen in the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali, it also highlights the paths of devotion (bhakti), action (karma), and knowledge (jñana). The Gītā, as it is popularly known, is not an independent literary work but rather a portion of the great Indian epic, Mahābhārata. This course will explore Bhagavad Gītā’s rich literary and historical context and metaphysical concepts, in addition to offering an in-depth analysis of its highlighted yogic paths. This analysis will be accompanied by an introduction to the Sanskrit commentarial tradition, with analysis of specific Gītā verses and their differing interpretations.
During this 25 hour module, we’ll explore the Gita through its:
- Varied historical context
- Literary context within the Mahābhārata
- Metaphysical concepts
- Paths of dhyāna, jnana, karma, and bhakti yoga
- Sanskrit commentarial tradition
- Verses and their various interpretations
TEACHERS: Eileen Goddard & Robert Lindsey
- Dasa, Satyanarayana. The Yoga of Dejection. New Delhi: Gondals Press, 2000.
- Davis, Richard. The Bhagavad Gita: A Biography. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2015.
- Sargeant, Winthrop, trans. Bhagavad Gita. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2009.
DATES & TIMES:
- Thursday, June 11th: 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Saturday, June 13th & Sunday, June 14th: 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Thursday, June 18th: 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Thursday, June 25th: 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Thursday, July 9th: 6:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, July 16th: 6:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, July 23rd: 6:30-8:30pm
- Thursday, July 30th: 6:30-8:30pm
- Complete Yoga Vida’s 200 Hour Teacher Training or by permission
- Read The Bhagavad Gita: A Biography prior to June 6th.
Noho: 666 Broadway at Bond Street, 3rd Floor
SELF INVESTMENT: $400
Payment Deadline: Sunday, June 7, 2020
EARLY BIRD RATE: $350 *
Early Bird Deadline: Sunday, May 3, 2020
*For the Early Bird Rate, full payment must be made by the Early Bird Deadline.
TO REGISTER: Fill out an online application and then pay in full*! Registration opens 4/5/2020.
If you have any questions, please contact Eileen: firstname.lastname@example.org
* 1 month of FREE YOGA CLASSES start the day you pay your full tuition! No refunds within 31 days before the program begins, and refunds requested more than 31 days before the program begins lose $150 processing fee only.